Welcome

“We build on foundations we did not lay.
We warm ourselves at fires we did not light.
We sit in the shade of trees we did not plant.
We drink from wells we did not dig.
We profit from persons we did not know.
We are ever bound in community."

Rev. Peter Raible (paraphrased from Deuteronomy 6:10-12)



Thursday, July 7, 2011

What "The Well" is all about...

First and foremost - "The Well" is about gratitude. 
It's about creating a space to name and notice the people, ideas, books, and nourishing sources that feed and inspire my life and ministry.  Currently, I'm feeling inspired, fed, and grateful for Phil Lund, the outstanding Sunday worship at General Assembly this year, by my family, and so much more. I'm also going to begin posting regularly on Twitter - to lift up things/people/sources that I noticed and felt thankful for during the day. Noticing - and giving thanks - really does impact my spiritual life. 


Second, "The Well" is an experiment in digital ministry. I've had a Facebook page for a while, have just started using Twitter more frequently, and now, with the launch of this blog, plan to post regularly during the upcoming year. I hope to bring my ministry into the virtual world in a more meaningful way.  People like revnaomi and Meg Riley  (Senior Minister of Church of the Larger Fellowship) are just a tiny sampling of digital ministry people and spaces that intrigue, challenge, and inspire me. (BTW: Church of the Larger Fellowship recently came out with a mobile phone app. You can learn more here.) 


Third, "The Well" will be a place to explore the intersection of Unitarian Universalist faith, fatherhood, family, church life, large church ministry, technology, UU evangelism, and joy. I'll share ideas for sermons that are percolating, thoughts about church health and growth, social justice issues that are important to me, and share how my faith - and spiritual practices - are shaping my life.


PS - "The Well" is also the title of our current summer worship series at First Universalist, running through Sept 11, 2011. If you're in the area, stop by on Sundays at 10am or check us out on podcast. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for your next post. Thanks for sharing yourself so generously, Justin!
Shannon Steven

Justin Schroeder said...

Shannon, thanks for reading! I hope you and the family are having a good summer. - Justin